Journalist David Ornstein has provided a common sense update on the future of Mohamed Salah.
Liverpool's record Premier League goalscorer has been the subject of interest from Saudi Arabia.
Earlier this summer, it was reported that the Saudi Pro League had set its petro-funded sights on Salah as a transfer target.
Despite Salah's own agent, Ramy Abbas, strongly denying any possibility that the forward could change clubs this summer, the rumours gathered pace last week, with Al Ittihad (Fabinho's new club) supposedly ready to make the Egyptian the world's highest paid footballer.
Reports from the Middle East even claimed that Liverpool's trip to Newcastle on Sunday could be Salah's final appearance for the Reds before completing a dramatic, huge-money move.
It all sounds incredibly far-fetched, because it is.
Liverpool – as confirmed by Jurgen Klopp – have not received an offer, and wouldn't entertain one if they did.
The Athletic reporter Ornstein has given a summary of the situation relating to the bubbling rumours on NBC Sports, playing down talk that Salah could actually leave.
Asked directly about the claims that Sunday could be Salah's final Liverpool outing, Ornstein said: "Never say never in this business but as far as I'm aware, that reporting is not accurate. I don't expect this to be Mo Salah's last game for Liverpool and I don't expect him to undergo a medical any time soon.
"There are two key factors in this. One is Mo Salah's preference. We don't seem to be aware of him agitating to leave – Jurgen Klopp has said he's 100% committed to Liverpool – and it would need him to do so for this to really gather momentum. And two, most importantly, Liverpool themselves.
"They, to my understanding, have not received any offers for Mo Salah at this point in time. They have no intention of letting him go. He signed a contract a year ago."
Ornstein – who said he doesn't see the transfer materialising this summer – also conceded that Al Ittihad may be 'sowing the seeds' for a move next year, when Salah will have just 12 months remaining on his contract.
"Perhaps this situation may rear its head again next summer," he speculated. "Because he'll have a year to go at that point. Maybe some ground work is being laid now. They [Al Ittihad] would love to do it now, but perhaps this is sowing the seeds."
While the European transfer window closes on 1 September, Saudi Pro League clubs can continue to do business until 20 September. Expect this to keep rumbling until then.