Merseyside Police ramp up security ahead of Manchester City's Anfield visit

Merseyside Police have announced heightened security measures in preparation for Manchester City's highly anticipated visit to Anfield this Sunday.

The Premier League's top two teams are set to face off in what could ultimately be a title decider in a 3.45 pm kick-off.

In response to past incidents of disorder, including attacks on the team bus, tragedy chanting and violence during previous encounters between the two sides, several precautionary steps have been implemented by the local police, as reported in the Daily Mail.

The first is the kick-off time itself. The match was originally pencilled in for 4.30 pm. However, it has now been brought forward by 45 minutes in line with police recommendations.

Secondly, the away allocation for City fans has been slightly reduced, although this is primarily due to ongoing redevelopment at Anfield rather than security concerns.

Additionally, Merseyside Police will pay particular attention to Manchester City's bus route to Anfield (which will remain unchanged), aiming to prevent any recurrence of previous disturbances, including the throwing of missiles.

A zero-tolerance approach

Merseyside Police will be collaborating closely with both football clubs and supporters' groups to maintain order during the match. Chief Inspector Kevin Chatterton, the match commander for the game, emphasised a zero-tolerance policy towards any disorderly behavior.

"We have been working closely with the two football clubs and supporters’ groups for this Sunday’s match at Anfield," Chatterton told the Mail. "As with every football match, we have robust policing in place. Any disorderly behaviour will not be tolerated, and we will take action to identify and bring to justice anyone found responsible."

Previous issues

Previous encounters between City and Liverpool have been marred by incidents of violence and disorder.

In 2018, during a UEFA Champions League quarter-final tie, Manchester City's team bus was targetted with glass bottles and coins by Liverpool fans as it made its way to Anfield.

Similar incidents have occurred since then, prompting authorities to take preemptive measures this time around.

Share This Article