Liverpool reject Saudi Pro League offer for Mohamed Salah

Liverpool have rejected a 'verbal offer' of over £100m for Mohamed Salah from the Saudi Pro League.

Salah has been the subject of interest from Al Ittihad – Fabinho's new club – this summer, with the Egyptian reported to be a top target for the PIF-backed Saudi Pro League.

Speculation has been rife in recent days that Al Ittihad would submit an official bid, while attempting to entice Salah with a contract that would put him among the very highest paid footballers on the planet.

David Ornstein of the Athletic has now reported that Liverpool have rejected a 'verbal offer' from the Saudi Pro League.

The bid is said to be have been worth 'in excess of £100m plus substantial add-ons' but was rejected out of hand by Liverpool director Mike Gordon on Thursday night.

Ornstein reports that Liverpool 'consider the case closed' and are adamant that Salah will not be sold this summer.

READ MORE: When could Mohamed Salah actually leave Liverpool?

Speaking at his pre-match press conference on Friday, Jurgen Klopp reiterated Liverpool's stance that Salah will not depart, but denied knowledge of any offer.

"The position remains the same, absolutely," Klopp told reporters when asked about the speculation. "That's how it is. Nothing else to say. No offer as far as I know."

Previously Klopp described his number 11 as '100% committed' to Liverpool.

Salah, who signed a new three-year contract of around £350,000 per week last summer, has two years left to run on his current deal.

While Liverpool may consider the case closed, the fact that the Saudi transfer window remains open beyond 1 September means speculation is not likely to finish this week.

Elsewhere in his press conference, Klopp described the ill-aligned deadlines as a 'threat'.

READ MORE: Liverpool fans reveal how much it would take to sell Mohamed Salah

"I don't know how long it will stay like this but I think the next two weeks will show how much of a challenge it is," Klopp said. "Because no-one can react anymore [if they lose players]. We have to protect the game. I love all my players who went to Saudi.

"But the league is not that it distracts me from my watching habits. We need to ensure the European leagues stay as strong as they are. Maybe we can change some rules or laws slightly? We're all surprised by the activity of Saudi Arabia. It feels more a threat than not."

Share This Article