Liverpool FC news recap: Edwards is BACK, Hughes to follow?

It was potentially a big day for the future of Liverpool FC with the much-anticipated announcement that Michael Edwards would be returning to the fold as FSG's football chief executive.

We examine the reaction and possible ramifications of this, how this impacts the Reds' pursuit of a new manager, and possible summer transfer targets.

Here's your Liverpool FC news recap for Tuesday 12 March.


Michael Edwards returns to Liverpool

Michael Edwards has agreed to a sensational return to Liverpool, leading football operations for the club as FSG's CEO of football.

Edwards, who departed Anfield in 2022, had been long targeted for a return by Liverpool's owners as part of the structural shake-up following Jurgen Klopp's exit.

While Edwards initially declined to return in his old post as sporting director, he was then offered a more senior position in a final face-to-face pitch by FSG leaders John W. Henry and Mike Gordon in America at the start of March.

Edwards is now expected to oversee the transition following Jurgen Klopp's exit at the end of the season and will be responsible for appointing the German's successor, as well as the new sporting director, which is expected to be Richard Hughes.

➡️ READ MORE

Edwards turned down two rival clubs

It's reported that Michael Edwards turned down approaches from two of Liverpool's Premier League rivals, as well as overseas interest, to return to the Reds.

In quotes carried by outlets including the Athletic, Edwards revealed that the promise of identifying and running a second club for FSG played a big role in his decision to turn down overtures from the likes of Manchester United, Chelsea, Real Madrid and PSG.

➡️ READ MORE

Xabi Alonso Liverpool FC Jurgen Klopp Next Manager

Xabi Alonso is hot favourite to become the next manager of Liverpool FC with Jurgen Klopp set to depart at the end of the 2023-24 season.

Agreement over new manager

Outgoing Bournemouth technical director Richard Hughes now appears to be the overwhelming favourite to fill Liverpool's vacant director of football role.

According to reports, both he and Michael Edwards are in agreement that Xabi Alonso should be the next manager.

➡️ READ MORE

Outsider tipped to replace Jurgen Klopp

Not everyone agrees that Xabi Alonso is the best candidate, though.

Former Eredivisie striker Mario Bilate told RTV Rijnmond that he backed Feyenoord manager Arne Slot to take over at Anfield.

The Dutchman was heavily considered by Tottenham Hotspur last summer before they ended up moving for Ange Postecoglou and he is also thought to be favoured by some on the Bayern board to replace Thomas Tuchel.

“He has achieved something and has really shown in Europe that he has his own philosophy,” he said. “A step higher will not be a problem. It will mainly be a choice of which club he thinks suits him best. I think that’s Liverpool.”

➡️ READ MORE

Alexander-Arnold return date mooted

Liverpool are hopeful that Trent Alexander-Arnold will make his comeback from injury in their next Premier League game, against Brighton and Hove Albion on March 31.

The 25-year-old aggravated a knee problem during the league game against Burnley back in February, after originally suffering a minor knee ligament injury following the FA Cup defeat of Arsenal in early January.

➡️ READ MORE

Two Reds stars spotted in training

Following his recent injury setback during last Thursday's 5-1 victory over Sparta Prague, defender Ibrahima Konate has been spotted back in training, albeit away from the main group.

Meanwhile, Sky Sports' Vinnie O'Connor also provided an update on the health of young midfielder Stefan Bajcetic.

The 19-year-old has been seen continuing his recovery from a long-term adductor injury at the AXA Training Centre but "still looks a long way from training with the first team".

➡️ READ MORE

Frankfurt centre-back on the radar

Liverpool and Arsenal have got Eintracht Frankfurt centre-back Willian Pacho on their shopping lists ahead of the summer transfer window, according to a report in Germany. 

With a contract extending until 2028, Frankfurt’s investment is well protected and they will look for €60m (£51m) for the 22-year-old nine-time Ecuador international this summer, according to Sky Sports Germany’s Florian Plettenberg.

➡️ READ MORE

Luis Diaz Liverpool

Luis Diaz Liverpool

Luis Diaz, out of reach for Barcelona

Barcelona have enquired about the availability of Luis Diaz in a meeting held between the player’s representative and club president Joan Laporta, according to one report in the winger's homeland. 

The supposed summit between Barca and Diaz’s agent did not yield a satisfactory outcome for the Catalans, who learned that Liverpool would look for between €120m (£102m) and €140m (£120m) for the No. 7.

“It’s unfeasible,” was reported to be Laporta’s response upon hearing those figures with the Barca supremo out of so-called levers to pull and the club again facing a financial crisis.

➡️ READ MORE

Share This Article