'There were obviously discussions' - Kelleher admits to doubts over Liverpool future

Caoimhin Kelleher admits he discussed leaving Liverpool last summer, but the Irish goalkeeper adds that he is not yet thinking about his future ahead of this upcoming transfer window. 

Kelleher, 25, made his 25th appearance of the season in the Reds’ visit to Old Trafford for a Premier League game against Manchester United on Sunday. 

It is, by far, his highest number of matches across one season since stepping up to the Liverpool first-team squad during the 2018-19 season. 

The Ireland international is firmly behind Alisson Becker in the Anfield pecking order, a situation which led to frank talks with club bosses during the off-season. 

However, with Alisson still out of action, it has led to Kelleher putting together a run of consecutive matches. 

The Brazilian No.1 suffered a hamstring injury back in February and remains on the sidelines

Kelleher says that Alisson’s injury is “unfortunate” but is determined to make the most of his opportunities in the side having come close to moving away last year. 

Kelleher admits to doubts over his future

“It couldn’t have worked out much better, to be fair,” he said in an interview with the Liverpool Echo

"I’ve obviously had a lot of games this season, so the decision to stay was probably the right one. 

“There were obviously discussions because I wanted to play as much as I can. It was clear that because of the circumstances I was in, that I had to stay. 

“Obviously I got this big opportunity, which can always happen. The manager did say that anything can happen like that. 

“It was very unfortunate that Ali picked up an injury but on the other side it’s been an opportunity for me to get more games.” 

Kelleher remains focused on securing titles for Liverpool 

The 12-cap Irishman is under contract until 2026 and widely considered to be among the best substitute goalkeepers in the Premier League. 

He was the man between the sticks as the Reds picked up the Carabao Cup against Chelsea back in February and says his focus is firmly on securing more titles in the shape of the Premier League and Europa League before the end of the season. 

“To be fair, I have not thought much about it,” he said when quizzed on his future.

"There are so many important games coming up that if I took my mind off those, I think I can’t afford to do it. 

“I’ve just been focusing on what I’m doing, trying to do well, and we’ll see what happens.”

Share This Article