LFC News Round Up: Joe Gomez on PL return, Diogo Jota fitness and transfer update

LFC News Round Up: Joe Gomez on PL return, Diogo Jota fitness and transfer update

Below, we have provided a summary of the most important news from the weekend in relation to Liverpool Football Club.

Joe Gomez opens up on first Premier League start since 2020

Liverpool defender Joe Gomez made his first Premier League start for quite some time last Saturday. The Englishman had not made a start in England's top division of football since November 2020.

Gomez suffered a bad knee injury during the 2020-21 campaign, which is why he has lost his place in the team in recent times.

The 24-year-old played at right-back for Jurgen Klopp's side against Norwich City at Anfield last weekend. Gomez performed very well against the Canaries.

He registered a WhoScored player rating of 7.38, which backs up the aforementioned argument.

“Obviously it’s been a moment I’ve thought about for a long time,” Gomez told the club's official website after the match.

“I’ve had to wait longer than I would have hoped, but at the end of the day I’ve had to keep working and be the best member of the squad I can be, pushing the lads and doing my bit as well away from the pitch to try and be ready physically and mentally. So yeah, it does mean a lot.”

The defender added: "I think I’d like to try to stay true to working hard and being a good team member for sure. I don’t think the gaffer would expect anything less and I think that’s part and parcel of being at this club. You have to do what you can to push the lads and to be the best that you can be, whether that be in training, in the gym or whatever. That’s what I try to do and to keep on doing so."

Joe Gomez

Update on Diogo Jota's fitness

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has confirmed that Reds forward Diogo Jota recently suffered an ankle injury.

The German said that the Portugal international picked up the injury during the club's Champions League clash against Inter Milan at the San Siro last week.

Jota missed last weekend's Premier League fixture against Norwich City at Anfield as a result.

As quoted by The Mirror, Klopp said the following about Jota's injury: “We need further assessment. Some ligaments around the ankle, but not the ligament. Everything is possible. It could go quickly or the other way, unfortunately. We have to wait.

“Everybody saw the picture of him in the boot - this is a normal procedure, even when you just feel something they put you in that boot."

Jota has scored 30 goals and registered four assists in 62 appearances for Liverpool's first-team.

Therefore, the forward is clearly going to be a loss if he is ruled out for a prolonged period of time.

Manchester United planning Fabio Carvalho hijack

Manchester United are planning to hijack Liverpool's move for Fulham midfielder Fabio Carvalho this summer, according to Harry Pratt, as cited by Anfield Watch's Twitter account.

The Reds were reportedly on the verge of signing the 19-year-old on deadline day of the January transfer window, but the relevant paperwork could not be completed in time to confirm the deal.

It has since been reported that Liverpool will attempt to sign Carvalho come the summer. However, Manchester United will challenge the Reds for the youngster's signature, according to Pratt.

If that is true, we don't see any reason why Carvalho would want to sign for the Red Devils. They currently sit in fourth-place on the Premier League table and currently possess an interim manager.

Liverpool on the other hand are settled. The Reds have challenged for every major trophy in club football under Klopp.

The 54-year-old will also be at the helm until 2024. Right now, Liverpool are a far more attractive option to sign for in comparison to Manchester United.

Share This Article
Have Your Say
Enjoying Anfield Watch?
Subscribe To Our LFC Newsletter