Fabio Carvalho wants Fulham return as Liverpool consider recall

Fabio Carvalho is 'open' to re-joining former club Fulham, should he be recalled by Liverpool next month.

The 21-year-old forward was sent out on a season-long loan to RB Leipzig at the start of the summer, but has struggled for minutes in Germany and has started just one Bundesliga game so far.

As a result of his limited opportunities, it was reported last week that Liverpool are 'unhappy' with the situation and have opened talks with Leipzig about cutting short the deal and bringing their player back to Merseyside.

If that happens, Carvalho could well be sent out on loan again for the second half of the 2023/24 season, with the Mirror reporting that Fulham is a possibility.

The report claims that the Portugal Under-21 international would be 'open' to re-joining the club he left for Liverpool back in 2022.

Carvalho came through Fulham's academy and shone in the Championship during the 2021/22 season as he helped win promotion back to the Premier League, contributing 10 league goals in 36 appearances.

It is said that Fulham too could also be interested in a reunion, though Marco Silva is not thought to be prioritising attacking additions in the January window.

Talk of Carvalho's next club could yet be redundant, however, with Leipzig reluctant to let the player return to Liverpool, despite his lack of game time.

Leipzig sporting director Rouven Schroder played down talk of Liverpool's interest in recalling the young forward in the German press, claiming: “These are typical power games that ultimately emerge."

Carvalho arrived at Liverpool as a highly rated prospect and started well in 2022/23 following the £7m transfer.

He scored twice in the opening months of the season – including a late winner against Newcastle – but quickly faded and was rarely used by Jurgen Klopp in the latter half of the campaign.

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - Wednesday, August 31, 2022: Liverpool's Fábio Carvalho (L) celebrates after scoring the winning second goal in the 98th minute during the FA Premier League match between Liverpool FC and Newcastle United FC at Anfield. Liverpool won 2-1.(Pic by David Rawcliffe/Propaganda)

Speaking this summer, Carvalho put his first season struggles at Liverpool down to positional issues.

He said: “I feel like the reason it hasn’t worked at Liverpool is because of the position I have been playing on the left, which is not really my position. I was told I’d come in and play as a 10, but we don’t really play with a 10. Whereas here [at Leipzig] we play with two 10s. And it's more I'm able to get on the inside, I'm able to turn and go forward. So I'd probably say that's the reason it hasn't worked out."

When polled on social media whether Carvalho still had a future at Liverpool, 53.9% of Anfield Watch voters said yes.

Share This Article